Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Impossible Tart

Greetings, readers!

Please accept my apologies for not posting anything for a few days.  I so try and keep the blog updated regularly, but the chilly weather here in Cape Town has made way for cold and flu in the Cake Mama household.  Yes, it really does get cold in Africa, as you might have noted if any of you watched Monday’s match at Greenpoint Stadium.  I drove home from my in-laws that night amidst a hailstorm, and was reminded of the mother of all storms we once experienced when we lived in Northen British Columbia, Canada.  The only difference was that in Canada, it was so unbelievably cold outside that all viruses and bacteria carrying illness died (well, that’s my professional scientific opinion) so you couldn’t get sick.  Here, the wind is bone-shiveringly chilly but when you combine that with the strong African sun…well, it’s sick weather. 

I haven’t, however, forgotten my promise to supply you all with yummy South African bakes!  Here’s my next one, named ‘Impossible Tart’.  It should really be called ‘Very Possible and Extremely Easy Pudding’ because it’s laughably easy, and it’s not exactly what I’d call a Tart.  The term ‘tart’ is used very freely in South African cuisine – it basically refers to any kind of pudding that is set when either baked or refrigerated (you’ll meet the refrigerated version when I post up the recipe for ‘Peppermint Tart’, which is so mmmmmm).    Of course, only the English use the term ‘tart’ to describe a particular kind of woman.  I assure you, that I do not make reference to that kind of tart in any of my blog posts.

Finally, please excuse the lack of photos at the moment.  It seems that my little Cake Child has played with my camera’s battery charger and has somewhat misplaced it, bless her cotton socks.  Since I refuse to post up any pictures of recipes that are not my own, I’ll just have to hunt for the battery charger so I can get some more delicious pictures up!

Impossible Tart

Ingredients:
4 eggs
50 ml melted butter
1 cup sugar
¾ cup plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch salt
1 generous tbsp apricot jam
1 cup desiccated coconut

Method:
-          Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
-          Mix all ingredients together and beat until well combined (by hand or with an electric mixer)
-          Pour into a dish which has already been greased with butter.
-          Bake for about 40 minutes (time varies according to your oven) until the top of the pudding is golden brown.  It should not be completely firm like cake, but it should not wobble when moved!
-          There’s only one way to serve this pudding, and that’s with some warm custard.  Enjoy while watching your favourite programme, or getting stuck into a great book.

4 comments:

  1. i made something quite similar to this once for a o gosh i can't remember wats its called. one of those parties that every lady brings a different dish. it went pretty well with everytone.

    http://theveiledbump.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pot luck dinner, perhaps? Yes things like this usually go down very well when you're not sure what people eat...the ingredients are generally 'unoffensive'. But you do get people that don't eat coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think it'd be ok if I substituted aprict jam with strawberry or mixed jam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it should be a problem - try and and tell me how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete

Cake Mama loves comments! Please be nice, and mind your language!